This morning the Federal Circuit released additional materials pertaining to the ongoing investigation into Judge Newman’s fitness to serve as a judge on the Federal Circuit. These materials include a redacted audio recording and various letters and orders, including a 375-page document containing a 73-page unanimous per curiam order of the court’s Judicial Council dated today along with numerous redacted supporting attachments. Most significantly, today’s order suspends Judge Newman for the period of at least one year. The order states:
- “Judge Newman shall not be permitted to hear any cases, at the panel or en banc level, for a period of one year beginning with the issuance of this Order, subject to consideration of renewal if Judge Newman’s refusal to cooperate continues after that time and to consideration of modification or rescission if justified by an end of the refusal to cooperate.”
- “The Committee shall maintain jurisdiction over this matter.”
Here is the full text of this morning’s announcement, with links to the released materials, including today’s order and attachments along with prior letters and orders and a redacted audio recording.
Pursuant to Judge Newman’s request under Rule 23(b)(7) and pursuant to Rule 23(b)(8), the materials below are being released.
- September 20, 2023 Unanimous Judicial Council Order
- September 19, 2023 Letter
- September 18, 2023 Redacted Order
- September 13, 2023 Letter
- August 31, 2023 Response
- August 17, 2023 Order
- August 14, 2023 Letter
- August 7, 2023 Judicial Council Order
- July 13, 2023 Redacted Audio Recording
Prior documents in this matter can be found on the court’s website. Neither the Judicial Council, Special Committee, nor the court are providing any additional statements at this time.